Records of Cooper Union Commencements, 1975-1998
C 5CK 1975-1998 Shelf P
Records were generated by the office of the college president and the Office of Public Affairs. Records were transferred to the Cooper Archives July 2011.
The Cooper Union Commencement Records contain correspondence with, and the commencement speeches of, well-known individuals such as:
- Tom Wolfe (1980)
- Ed Koch, New York City mayor (1985)
- Kurt Vonnegut (1986)
- Betty Friedan (1987)
- James Dickey (1988)
- William Stanley Merwin, poet (1989)
- Charlayne Hunter-Gault, journalist and civil rights pioneer (1990)
- Leo Lionni, children’s book author/artist (1991)
- Edward R. Tufte, data visualization expert (1992)
- Ruth Messinger, Manhattan Borough President (1993)
- Russell Hulse, Nobel laureate (1994)
- Chuck Hoberman, artist/inventor (1995)
- Milton Glaser, graphic designer (1997)
- Rudolph Giuliani, New York City mayor (1998)
Also included are press releases, commencement planning documents, scripts for college officials, and information on alumni to whom awards were presented at commencement.
Records span the Cooper Union presidencies of John F. White (to 1980); Bill N. Lacy (1980-1987); Alan Green (Acting President 1987-1988); and John Jay Iselin 1988-2000).
Extent of Collection:
2 boxes; 2.6 linear feet.
Click tabs at top of page for box contents and description.
Finding aid prepared by Mitsuko Brooks, February 2012.
The Records of Cooper Union Commencements, 1975-1998 are held in the Cooper Archives of the Cooper Union Library, 7 East 7th Street, New York, NY 10003.
Archives materials are available to interested researchers by appointment only.
Please contact Carol Salomon, Archives Librarian: